Thursday, September 8

Big, Flat, Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies



I think all of us have our favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe. Years ago I found, modified and perfected our family's. Soft, bite sized and extremely yummy. About a month ago, I mentioned to John that I thought I would mix up a batch. He ,casually, mentioned that his favorite were the big, flat chewy kind. What? After 8+ years he decides I should know?


I was now trying to reprogram my cooking making mind back to what I had been avoiding all these years. From the "Oh, man" I hear with each bite, I think I may have succeeded.


There is some extra work involved with this recipe. If you follow it (i.e. all the specific amounts, temps) you will see it is worth it!


Ingredients:


2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
3/4 cup salted butter, melted
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 egg, room temperature
1 egg yolk, room temperature
2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips


Stir together flour and baking soda in a small bowl. Set aside.


In a medium bowl, cream together melted butter, brown sugar and white sugar until well blended. Beat in vanilla, egg and egg yolk until creamy.


Add flour mixture (that you set aside in first step), stirring until JUST blended. Stir in chocolate chips.


Refrigerate minimum of 45 minutes. You want the batter to set up enough that when a spoon is put in it, it is somewhat like "quicksand" to get back out. You can keep these refrigerated up to 2 days before baking.  


Preheat oven to 325. Grease cookie sheet.


Drop about 1/4 a cup at a time of cookie dough onto cookie sheet. Place dough 3 inches apart.


Bake for 15 minutes or until edges are lightly toasted. The middle may look slightly undone, but the cookies will continue to set up outside the oven. Cool for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack.


When still slightly warm, transfer to airtight container to keep the cookies softness. 


*keep batter refrigerated between batches when baking. 


Happy Thursday!


10 comments:

AO said...

these are my kind of choco chip cookies Sheri! they look delicious! nom nom nom! i wish i had an oven right now so i could make a bunch! thanks for sharing the recipe. c",)

Then Comes Baby K said...

These look so good!

SultanStyle.com said...

Sheri I sincerely hope I am on your "Send Yummy Cookies to Friends" holiday list. **lol** :)

Sheri said...

If I ever make a list, I have you jotted down. ;-)

Ann Jones said...

I love chocolate chip cookies, these look delicious! I haven't made cookies in a couple of weeks, I think that I might make some cookies now :)

akawest said...

Mmmm...I could go for one of those right this minute!

Quirky Homemaker said...

Oh my gosh! Those sound good. I like a little crunch myself, but I wouldn't turn down a soft cookie, right now! Yummo!

Erin Branscom said...

I just found your sweet blog and became a follower. I love your description of your husband in your side bar! :) ha! : Sounds JUST like MY husband! :) Erin

www.healthybranscoms.com

Ed Pilolla said...

i like the 'oh man' with every bite validation:)
flat, chewy cookies are the best. this will be my recipe next time i make sum.

Unknown said...

This really looks delicious. I'm definitely craving for a plate of that right now. Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe. This is definitely a must do recipe this weekend since I got my Alcohol Server Certification.