Thursday, November 10

The Cook's Perfect Chili Recipe

adapted from dailydishrecipes.com

Over the past few months I have had the wonderful honor of getting to know Nicole from The Daily Dish. Nicole is amazing, just amazing. She is not only a mother, wife, author and foodie (secret superpowers too, I suspect) but has become a true friend of mine. One I look forward to talking to every day, one I can confide in and one who makes me laugh and smile without even trying. She brightens my days and makes me ask "How did I get so lucky?" 

On top of all this is the fact that she can take any recipe, common or otherwise and give it that extra ingredient or two and make it spectacular to your taste buds. I have tried many of her recipes (they are posted on here) and never once were they anything short of delicious! So when she posted her perfect chili recipe, I was thrilled. 

You see I have tried countless chili recipes over the years trying to find that one perfect combination that would persuade John that chili does NOT contain noodles. Right? Right. He loves all the recipes I have made from The Daily Dish; it couldn't hurt to try this one...

I served this having already tested it for myself and knew it to be the best chili ever. When John took his first bite, he kind of looked at me in surprise. Then he said, "Honey, you can make this anytime." We had leftovers the next night and the big pot of chili was gone...it really is that good.

Thanks to Nicole for yet another success in my kitchen! I love this girl.

My friends, you really need to make this. You can find Nicole's original here

Ingredients:
2 lbs. ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
2 cans light kidney beans (1 drained, 1 not)
1 can Rotel
3 - 16 oz cans tomato sauce
3 Tbls. chili powder
2 garlic cloves, crushed or pressed
salt and pepper to taste

In a skillet brown ground beef with onion and green pepper. Season with salt and pepper. Drain meat and set aside. 

In a large stock pot, place ground beef mixture. Add kidney beans, Rotel, tomato sauce, chili powder and garlic. Cook on medium heat for minimum of 1 hour to maximum of 3 hours. Stir occasionally. 

Nicole suggested to let it cook a couple of hours to seal the flavor in better. I left mine on almost a full 3 hours and it was perfect. We also topped ours with a little grated medium cheddar cheese. 

8 comments:

Unknown said...

This dish really looks good Sheri! I must try it one of these days. Take care and have a good Thursday.

Nora Weston said...

My family loves chili...and they really love trying new recipes. I'll see what they think of this one! Great post.n:)

Nicole @ Daily Dish Recipes said...

It's taken me the whole day to respond to this, because every time I read it, I cried. I tried to come up with the right words, only to type them and realize that there just aren't words to express how important you are to me.
I am so grateful for your friendship, so in awe that we were able to find each other in this big Web.

It's so odd, so incredible to meet someone that you don't know in person, but you feel like you know so much about them by reading their most personal thoughts, and sharing with each other. You are absolutely that to me. I know that the day we finally meet it will be impossible to tell we haven't known each other forever.

Thank you so much for all of your super sweet words!

You've made my WHOLE day (and week and month and year) and I am so glad you guys like the Chili. I have two super picky eaters so I had to find something everyone would eat, and this was it.

Tell John I'm THRILLED he loves it!
xoxox Sheri, I love you to pieces!!

Alexis Kaye said...

oh my gosh! YUM!

Anonymous said...

Another recipe that looks great, thank you for sharing.

Sarah @ Vol Family Life said...

That chili looks amazing! I love a really thick chili! I will definitely have to give it a try! :)

New follower from the hop.

Sheri said...

Thank you for all your comments! I really do hope you try this as it won't disappoint!

@Nicole, you know I love you, right? Like a lot!

Anthony Constantinou CEO CWM FX said...

Anthony Constantinou | Anthony Constantinou CEO CWM FX says That looks good. I have also thought of using different varieties of beans. The only things I did differently were: Used 1/2 the amount of cumin, Used 1/4 tsp cayenne & 1/4 tsp chipotle powder. I cooked the chili for approx 40 minutes - until it become soft.
I enjoyed every mouthful! I foresee making this chili frequently. Like you though, I would also omit the okra (not a fan) and the red pepper seems like a perfect substitute.