Wednesday, February 15

Slow Cooker Meatballs ~ Appetizers



I love trying new appetizer recipes. Who am I kidding, I love trying any new recipe. Even better if I can use my slow cooker! A couple of weeks ago when I went to clean mine out, I realized it had a huge crack down one side. I seriously felt like crying. Sure it is just a slow cooker but I had had it since I moved out of my mom's house when I was 18. It had brought many great meals to my table and traveled with me during my many moves. I was sad to see it go, really.

John bought me a shiny new black one I have yet to try out. Can't wait though!

This meatball recipe requires a little more effort than my past meatball recipes. More prep time and ingredients. While they are meant to be appetizers, with the thick, hearty sauce they produce while cooking, they can also be used over potatoes or pasta. Might also work in small buns as sliders. 

Meatballs:
3 lbs. lean ground beef
4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1/2 cups seasoned bread crumbs
1 1/2 cups tomato juice
2 small onions, minced
4 tsp. salt
4 tsp. prepared horseradish
pepper, to taste

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Combine all ingredients and shape into 1" balls. Place in deep baking dish and brown in oven for 10 minutes. Remove and drain. 

Sauce:
1/4 cup butter
2 Tbls. lemon juice
2 small onions, chopped
1/4 cup ketchup
1/2 cup flour
2 tsp. salt
3 cups beef broth
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup red cooking wine
pepper, to taste

In a large skillet, melt butter. Add onions and saute until golden brown. Blend in flour. Add broth, stirring until smooth. Stir in remaining ingredients and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes. Add meatballs. Simmer about 5 minutes more.

Pour into slow cooker. Heat on low. Use toothpicks to serve.


No comments: