Monday, April 30

Crockpot Jambalaya



Many years ago, I had my first mouth watering bite of jambalaya. I have been a huge fan of it ever since. Over the years I have tried and tried and tried again to make my own version. I have gotten close but never really found that one combination that I felt was anything close to authentic or captured the flavor I was hoping for. Until now. A jambalaya that has some kick! 

This version is about medium hot. Just the way I love it. If you like yours a little on the tamer side, half the cayenne pepper, if you like it on the red hot side, double it. Also, use the meats of your choice, after all that is really what jambalaya is. Beef sausage, shrimp, hamburger or any other leftovers you want to add in.

Ingredients:
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 lb. smoked turkey sausage, sliced
1, 28 oz, can diced tomatoes with juice
3 tsp. dried minced onion flakes
1 cup chicken broth
2 tsp. dried oregano
2 tsp. dried parsley
2 tsp. minced garlic
2 tsp. Cajun seasoning
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 dried thyme
your choice of rice (I used 1 1/2 cups white rice and 1 pkg. of Ben's instant garlic butter rice)

Mix the chicken, sausage, tomatoes (with juice), onion garlic and broth in a crockpot. Season with oregano, parsley, Cajun seasoning, cayenne pepper and thyme.

Cover and cook 7 to 8 hours on low or 3 to 4 hours on high. When ready to serve, cook your rice as directed on package and add to crockpot. Taste for hotness and add more cayenne pepper if needed.  Mix in with crockpot ingredients for about 20 minutes to warm through. 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this recipe! I made it for a bunch of teens I work with and it was GONE in minutes! Plus, it smelled AMAZING as it was cooking!

Mine turned out fairly soupy, so I had to drain quite a bit of liquid. I'd probably forgo the broth and excess canned tomato juice. But it was still quite tasty!